Keep informed on the search for District OR1 Superintendent of Schools
Stakeholder Input Survey Link
The survey will open on Monday, October 28, 2019
The survey will close on Monday, November 4, 2019
Press Release – October 2019
District OR-1 Begins Superintendent Search Process with
McPherson & Jacobson, L.L.C.
The District OR-1 Board of Education has selected McPherson & Jacobson, L.L.C., Executive Recruitment and Development to assist them in the important task of selecting superintendent candidates for the board to interview. McPherson & Jacobson ( www.macnjake.com ) is one of the nation’s leading search firms and is based out of Omaha. McPherson & Jacobson has over 100 consultants located in 30+ states and has conducted over 600 searches since it began in 1991.
The District OR-1 Board of Education has identified the following as main focal points for the upcoming search:
TEAM BUILDER WITH STRONG COMMUNICATION SKILLS AND VISIBILITY
● Strong and proactive communicator that is able to bring two communities together while collaborating with all stakeholders
● Pays attention to both facilities and communities
● Able to engage and involve staff and admin team with BOE
● A leader who is highly visible at all school sites, activities, and community events
ACCOUNTABLE and APPROACHABLE
● Someone who won’t be micromanaged
● Someone with attention to detail
● Able to delegate and empower staff
STRONG BUDGETING AND FINANCE SKILLS
● Able to explain budget and annual audit with a strong knowledge of Nebraska funding formula
● Able to strategically plan and communicate about future needs
● Seeks out grants and understands over-reliance on local property taxes
STRONG WELL-ROUNDED LEADER
● An innovator that is aware of demographic changes and able to plan ahead for necessary improvements
● Commitment to educational excellence for ALL students to include the pursuit of unique learning opportunities to help prepare students for future careers and work exploration
● Problem solver
● A leader who can recruit, develop, and retain high quality talent in regards to all staff
● Excellent decision-making abilities
● Strong integrity
The above points are not the only traits the Board is looking for but they will be focused on as we move forward with this important process.
Feedback from all patrons is encouraged. Consultants Derrick Joel and Mike Lucas will be at the District OR-1 on Monday October 28 to meet with numerous groups. One “Community Input Forum” will be held that evening for anyone/everyone that wishes to attend in the Palmyra East Gym. The open forum will run from 5:30 - 6:30 PM.
For those unable to attend the “Community Input Forum,” there will be a “Survey Monkey” link accessible on the school website ( http://www.districtor1.org ) from October 28 - November 4. It will allow any user to provide their anonymous input on the skills and traits the next superintendent needs to possess as well as highlight the positives of the District OR-1 communities and school district.
Questions that will be asked at the “Community Input Forum” and through the Survey Monkey will be :
1) Tell us the good things about the communities within your school district.
2) Tell us the good things about District OR-1.
3) What are the skills, characteristics, and traits you’re looking for in the next superintendent?
4) What are the hot topics the new superintendent should be aware of so they can get off to a great start?
Key dates for the superintendent search include :
● Application Deadline of December 19 with finalists selected/announced on January 6
● Interviews to be conducted on January 11 (makeup day January 18)
● New hire to be made official by January 13 (if rescheduled, January 20)
● New hire to begin work on/about July 1st
Derrick Joel (308) 379-6429